Division of Nutrition & Physical ActivityThe Indiana State Department of Health Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity (DNPA) has carefully selected activities to build and maintain a successful public health approach to addressing obesity - a major public health issue in Indiana. These activities include:
- Build and enhance infrastructure
- Mobilize internal and external partners
- Increase and leverage resources
- Collect and use data
- Assess and address the obesity burden
- Develop and implement an evaluation plan of obesity prevention efforts
- Provide strategic guidance for the Indiana Healthy Weight Initiative
In 2008, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) awarded Indiana and 22 other state health departments a five year grant to address the growing problem of obesity. Through this grant, the DNPA developed the Indiana Healthy Weight Initiative to prevent and control obesity and other chronic diseases through policy, environment, and lifestyle change.
Along with implementing the CDC grant, the DNPA works to establish stability and sustainability in obesity prevention and control. The DNPA works with its statewide partners to establish a comprehensive, statewide approach to improve the health and quality of life of Hoosiers.